Monday, September 15, 2008

Ironing....my couch

At the risk of sounding completely stupid, I am posting this. Anyone ever heard of Scentsy? Well, it's these candle wax warmer things where you put the wax in the top of them and it melts it and fills your house with whatever particular flavor you put in. Great in theory, but anyone in real life is probably going to at some point experience what I am about to tell you.


I have been paranoid lately since Gavin is climbing on things, that he is going to knock mine over and either hurt himself or spill wax on my couch and carpet. Well, the day will now never come...because I did it! I was carelessly putting something behind my chair (small house, no storage, I have to be creative) and it hit the cord (another feature I hate about it) to the Scentsy warmer. Wax was literally FLUNG at me and all over my chair and the wall. Luckily there was also a blanket behind the chair that prevented any wax from getting on my carpet.


I decided to google my options and found out a neat little trick of putting down a towel and ironing over that to transfer the wax. Surprise, surprise it worked, but naturally has left some nice oil stains on my couch. Google also said to try sprinkling corn starch over those, so we'll see what happens after that sits for awhile.


Way to go, Janelle, way to go. On the plus side, my chair does smell remarkably like a sticky cinnamon bun....

6 comments:

bpetersen said...

Haha! I like the sticky cinnamon bun smell... :) I know the feeling though Kenna has climbed on the counter and tried to put her hands in them. Crazy kids... and moms :)

Love you!

The Martin's said...

Nice going there there clutlso!!! Maybe we should call you Grace, because of your sweet moves!

Nance's Playhouse said...

Hey There Nelly! Not to worry. I am not admitting to anything, but once candle wax was spilled on a family heirlom table cover, and of course, the carpet. Any the who, I learned that if you iron it over a paper bag (not kidding) the bag absorbs the greasey stuff. I am telling you, baby, it worked!! Remember, I am a certified mom & grandma. I have learned (after a tiny bit of experience... how to clean pretty much anything . . . black permanent marker, 5lbs of honey from carpet, 10 lbs. of flour, desitin, and shortening in the carpet) My little geniuses found many exciting and creative ways to make messes. I hmm hmm hmm am smarter!! Taa Daa!! been there, done that, can't find the tee shirt!! Love you Sweet Nell

Rheanna said...

Thank you! Hearing your sad story makes me feel better :o) Haven't done the candle wax thing yet (knock on wood), so I'm not much help there, good luck getting it out!

tamster17 said...

Ohhhh -- I'm so sorry! That totally stinks big time! I once tried to get a bit of crayon out of my couch (wonder how that got there???) that way and had the iron too hot and it slightly warped my couch, nice! But it was a little spot that isn't too noticeable. Good luck -- I hope you find something that works, furniture is not a cheap thing to replace!

The Mighty Murray's said...

We have kids to blame the stains we make on them...right. I make a lot more of the permenant messes in my house! Sad to admit to that!